Sunday 16 November 2008

Wrong turn.







Exploring continues. After breaking into the Fire Station, (not that I always wanted to be Sam the Firefighter), I decided, that maybe more food for thought would be needed to make the journey more fulfilling.
10000 Buddhas Monastery is the name of the game.
Based in Kowloon district nearby the Sha Tin station sounded as good as fresh cookies my girlfriend used to bake. It was suppose to be exactly what it says on the tin - a monastery with 10000 Buddhas figures in - Piglet knowingly tipped the wink.
I was on the lookout for a red pagoda to the West after leaving the station. Little walk down the back alleys and bingo - there it looks at me, from somewhere middle of the hill. That wasn't too difficult, was it?
I bravely went through the gates guarded by two marble postures of Chinese lions and made my way uphill.
Hold on - escalator in the monastery? Not even one, but each staircase leading to numerous pavilions was also served by moving set of stairs. I already knew, that Hong Kong had a great transport system (hats off by the way, ladies and gents!) but this was a bit over the edge.
It didn't neither put me off from searching for the unknown nor encourage to use those escalators.
Up again and again. Staircases seemed endless as well as my resources of sweat, but at least the first one proved not to be true.
Wall of little Buddha sculptures has put an end to my agony of climbing up. But wait a second - no matter how tired I was, I couldn't make 10000 of maybe 500 shapes. Then the second red pagoda emerged even higher. Stairs however, didn't magically appear again and no other ways to reach it came to my sight. Pointless attempts of conversation with no-english-spoken passers-by came to nothing and resigned I started walking down.
Office popped up unexpectedly. Shirts, ties, computers and a note on the door, saying:

"I'm sorry - we don't speak English.
If You're looking for 10000 Buddhas Monastery, it's not here, but You're very close.
Please go downstairs, turn left and ask for further directions.
Thank You."

I came to the point, that red and red-roofed pagoda aren't the same things.
This one was built in commemoration of all the saints on the little photos in different pavilions. Or rather regular people, who might now be the cause of squeeky floor in the lounge and slamming windows at night.
I clearly understood, why there was no 10000 figures of laughing Gods.
So far I was exploring local cemetery.

To be continued...

No comments: